Just Energy is a Canadian competitive electricity and natural gas retailer based in Ontario. Just Energy serves 4.5 million customers throughout North America, and is currently the largest energy retailer in Ontario. Just Energy provides energy solutions to both homeowners and businesses, with current products including both fixed and variable rate plans.
Current Electricity Plans
As of late 2016, Just Energy’s electricity plans include:
5-Year MyEnergy: A 60 month variable rate plan with a maximum capped rate of 5.99 cents per kWh (before Global Adjustment fee).
5-Year Predict-a-Bill Electric: A 60 month fixed rate plan in which the customer pays a flat rate of $49.99 per month, regardless of how much electricity you use (doesn’t include Global Adjustment). Just Energy reserves the right to discontinue service to clients who use more than 15,000 kWh per year.
5-Year Predict-a-Bill Electric (Dual Discount): Features the same Predict-a-Bill plan, with a $10 monthly discount for users who order both electricity and natural gas Predict-a-Bill plans.
Current Natural Gas Plans
As of late 2016, Just Energy’s Ontario natural gas plans include:
5-Year Natural Gas Supply: A 60 month fixed rate plan in which customers pay a set fee for every cubic meter of natural gas they use.
- For customers used to paying for their natural gas in gigajoules (GJ), 1 GJ is equal to about 26.137 cubic meters.
5-Year Predict-a-Bill Gas: A 60 month fixed rate plan in which you pay a flat fee of $49.99 per month for your natural gas, regardless of how much you use. Just Energy reserves the right to terminate service to customers who use more than 5,000 cubic meters of natural gas per year.
- Note: The Dual Discount option for natural gas charges the same $49.99/month fee as the gas-alone Predict-a-Bill option, as the discount is deducted from the electricity fee.
History of Just Energy
Founded in 1997, the company was originally known as the Energy Savings Group, but rebranded after a series of expansions and consolidations as Just Energy in 2009. Just Energy currently provides electricity and gas services in most Canadian provinces, more than a dozen American states, and in the United Kingdom.
Affiliate Energy Companies
Just Energy has a large number of subsidiary energy companies:
- Amigo Energy: Sells retail electricity services in Texas.
- Commerce Energy: Offers electricity and natural gas services in California and several states on the East Coast
- Green Star Energy: Provides electricity and gas services to residents of the UK.
- Hudson Energy: Sells electricity to companies in Canada, the United States, and the UK.
- Tara Energy: Provides electricity to consumers in Texas.
Purchases and Investments
Just Energy has been one of the most active Canadian energy companies in the last decade. After starting off in the Ontario natural gas market in 1997, it began providing electricity services in the province in 2002. In the next three years, it expanded its offerings to four more provinces and two American states. It was in this period that it began the rapid acquisition of other energy companies, culminating in the purchase of Hudson Energy in 2010. In 2012, the company crossed the Atlantic, selling to UK homeowners under the brand Green Star Energy, and to UK businesses through Hudson Energy Supply UK.