The 2019 Energy Star Canada Awards
To begin, let’s start off with a quick look at what Energy Star is. The Energy Star program was introduced in 1992 as a voluntary standard to introduce and promote energy-efficient products and to lessen both greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption across the world.
The Energy Star Canada Awards began in 2003 and are awarded annually. The Energy Star Canada Awards are awarded to Energy Star participants that have done the best job of promoting the most energy-efficient products and new homes in Canada.
The categories for the Energy Star Canada Awards are as follows:
- Manufacturer / Product Brand Owner – Appliances
- Manufacturer / Product Brand Owner – Commercial Products
- Manufacturer/ Product Brand Owner – Electronics
- Manufacturer / Product Brand Owner – Fenestration Products
- Manufacturer / Product Brand Owner – HVAC Products
- Manufacturer/ Product Brand Owner – Lighting Products
- Retailer – National and Regional
- Utility / Program Administrator – Provincial and Regional
- Promotional Campaign of the Year
- Promoter – ENERGY STAR Most Efficient
- Recruit (nominations are put forth by ENERGY STAR Canada)
- Sustained Excellence (nominations are put forth by ENERGY STAR Canada)
New Home Awards
- Small builder: A single entity building (1-49) homes built in 2019
- Mid-size builder: A single entity building (50-249) homes built in 2019
- Large builder: A single entity building (250 or more) homes built in 2019
Energy efficiency in Canada: Who are the winners in 2019?
The winners of the 2019 Energy Star Canada awards are as follows:
ENERGY STAR awards for products
- Sustained Excellence – Whirlpool Canada LP
- Manufacturer of the Year (appliances) – Samsung Electronics Canada
- Manufacturer of the Year (electronics) – Ricoh Canada Inc.
- Manufacturer of the Year (commercial products) – True Refrigeration Canada
- Manufacturer of the Year (windows and doors) – Centennial Windows & Doors
- Manufacturer of the Year (heating and cooling equipment) – Venmar Ventilation ULC
- Manufacturer of the Year (lighting) – L’Image Home Products Inc.
- Retailer of the Year (national) – The Home Depot Canada
- Retailer of the Year (regional) – GEM Windows and Doors
- Utility of the Year (2019) – Hydro One Networks Inc.
- Energy efficiency program administrator of the year (2019) – efficiencyPEI
- Advocate of the year (2019) – Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care
- Promoter of the year: ENERGY STAR Most Efficient (2019) – Daikin Industries, Ltd.
- Promotional campaign of the year (2019) – Rheem
- Recruit of the year (2019) – HP Canada
- Recruit of the year (2019) – Restaurants Canada
- Special recognition (2019) – Veritas Technologies LLC
ENERGY STAR awards for New Homes
- Builder of the year (Small size, 2019) – Naikoon Contracting Ltd.
- Builder of the year (Mid-size, 2019) – Doug Tarry Homes
- Builder of the year (Large size, 2019) – Activa
- Promotional excellence (2019) – Activa
How can companies submit their application for the 2020 competition?
According to Energy Star, before you can apply for the 2020 Energy Star Awards, you must be an Energy Star participant. You can find information on how to register your organization as an Energy Star Participant on the Natural Resources Canada website.
Otherwise, if your organization is already an Energy Star participant, you can request an application form via e-mail for any of the award categories by following the instructions stated on this Natural Resources Canada page. Once you receive your application form(s), they must be submitted between January 7, 2020, and March 6, 2020, via e-mail.
Supporting documents can be submitted by e-mail in a zip folder less than 20 MB in size, or can be saved on a USB stick and mailed to the address listed below:
ENERGY STAR Canada Awards
930 Carling Avenue, Building 3
Ottawa ON K1Y 4X2