Residential Energy Programs
There are many options available when looking to make your home energy efficient, such as buying LED lighting and new energy efficiency appliances, retrofitting your insulation, installing a new HVAC system, and so on. But this costs a significant amount of money, and it takes time to recoup these costs through your energy bill. This is why Manitoba Hydro offers a variety of residential savings and rebates programs, to help homeowners in Manitoba afford the cost of going green.
Current residential energy efficiency programs include:
- Affordable Energy Program: Provides qualifying low-income households with free upgrades, including LED bulbs, low-flower showerheads, free insulation, and even HVAC upgrades.
- Heat Recovery Ventilator Control Program: Upgrade your heat recovery ventilator (HRV) and receive a $150 rebate.
- Home Insulation Program: Qualifying homeowners can receive a rebate for installing new home insulation.
- Indigenous Communities and Power Smart Program: Manitoba Hydro energy efficiency specialists work with Band Housing Mangers to identify homes qualifying for upgrades such as LED bulbs, pipe wrapping, draft proofing, low-flow showerheads, and faucet aerators.
- Refrigerator Retirement Program: Manitoba Hydro will pick up qualifying refrigerators over 15 years old for free, and give you $50 for each fridge picked up.
- Water & Energy Saver Program: Homeowners can apply for a free water and energy saver kit, which includes low-flow showerheads, faucet aerators, pipe wrapping, plumber’s take, and a refrigerator thermometer.
- Power Smart for New Homes Program: Provides financial incentives to designers and builders who build homes that are 20% more energy efficient than conventional contemporary homes.
Commercial Energy Programs
There are many options available when it comes to making your business more energy efficient. But there is still the matter of dealing with the costs of going green—purchasing new lighting and HVAC equipment, installing improved insulation, and so on.
This is why Manitoba Hydro offers a variety of savings and rebate programs to help business owners handle these costs. The commercial savings and rebates options in Manitoba are as follows:
- Bioenergy Optimization Program: Determine if a bioenergy conversion system is suitable for companies with excess biomass by-products, helping reduce electricity and fossil fuel purchases.
- Building Envelope Program: Provides rebates for those looking to upgrade their commercial building’s envelope.
- Custom Measures Program: Provides customized rebates for facilities looking to improve energy efficiency, recover and reuse lost energy, capture solar energy for heating, and more.
- Enhanced Building Operations Program: Helps to identify and pay for energy conservation options that will justify their costs in the short-term.
- Geothermal Program: Helps businesses that are looking to replace their heating system with an efficient and effective alternative option.
- HVAC Program: Provides replacement incentives for new energy efficient HVAC systems.
- Kitchen Appliances Program: Offers rebates for food service businesses looking to purchase higher efficiency commercial steamers or fryers.
- Natural Gas Optimization Program: Provides incentives for optimizing usage of natural gas, and reducing consumption.
- Network Energy Management Program: Offers rebates for installing network management software that reduces the background and overall energy usage of personal computers.
- New Buildings Program: Provides incentives and professional guidance for those looking to implement energy efficient systems in the design and construction of new commercial buildings
- Performance Optimization Program: Assists businesses wishing to improve system efficiency and lower operating costs through incentives and support with implementing energy efficient processes.
- Power Smart Shops Program: Helps independent small business owners specifically by providing assessments and incentives, as well as free installation of LED lighting, faucet aerators, low-flow spray valves, and subsidies for qualifying lighting upgrades.
- Refrigeration Program: Provides incentives to promote the use of energy efficient refrigeration equipment and maintenance schedules.
- Religious Buildings Initiative: Helps religious buildings perform energy efficient upgrades through low interest loans, with a maximum loan value of $5,000.
- Water and Energy Saver Program: Provides low-flow plumbing options for municipal recreation facilities and multi-family residential buildings.