Electricity and gas bundles are getting more popular with consumers. Whether for residential or commercial plans, users have the opportunity to bundle their utilities with a single energy provider. The idea of bundling is based on combining several services as one package. When it comes to energy at home, some utility companies can provide you with both electricity and natural gas plans in a single deal. So, should you bundle electricity and gas?
What is an energy bundle?
An energy bundle allows people to have the convenience of multiple home services, such as electricity and gas, as part of the same package. In many cases, setting up bundled utilities will save you money and make it easier for you to monitor your spendings.
Some energy providers call it a dual-fuel plan, energy package, bundle or energy deal. It depends on where you live and how people in your region refer to them. However, the main concept behind it is the same: to help you find your ideal energy plan without having to hire different utility companies for each service.
The reasons to purchase bundle packages may vary according to where you live, your energy usage, the available energy rates and the perks related to the bundled deal.
Before you set up utilities, figure out if a bundle could be useful at your home. Read on to find out the main pros and cons related to electricity and gas bundles, as well as some tips on how to recognize a good energy deal.
Is a bundle worth it for you?
To bundle or not to bundle? Such a decision is not only about money; it involves convenience and personal organization. What do you prefer when searching for a utility deal: Convenience, or the lowest monthly bills you can get? With a bundle, sometimes you might get both. Other times, only one will be an option.
If you’re not sure yet, check below some of the advantages and disadvantages of paying a single energy provider for a gas and electricity bundle at home.
- For energy providers, it is advantageous to have more customers that bundle electricity and gas plans. That’s why they often provide users with promotional prices and even lower rates, which can help you save money on your monthly bills. From a financial viewpoint, it’s a valuable deal for both parts.
- Fewer bills: Imagine your natural gas and power bills coming in the same day or being paid at the same time. Of course, this can change depending on which province in you live in. In most cases, however, you will be able to receive a single bill that describes your energy usage and allows you to pay for the two services at once.
- Utility companies often provide customers with perks once they sign up for a bundle. Whether promotional rates, promo codes, gift cards or other discounts, many energy providers offer useful perks for consumers who choose to bundle their utilities. From Visa or Amazon gift cards to electronic gadgets, there are many opportunities for you to take the most out of an energy bundle.
- Less hassle: If time is money, then you will be saving a lot whenever you need to contact your provider. Whether you’re travelling abroad for a while or just have a quick doubt, it’s considerably more practical to call a single company, instead of having to wait in line for two different customer service phone lines.
- No regulated option: In many regions, you can’t bundle electricity and natural gas from a default regulated provider. In Alberta, for example, bundling your electricity and gas is only possible through a competitive retailer. That’s not exactly a negative thing for consumers, but could be an obstacle for the people who want to sign up for regulated utilities.
- Changing energy rates: Let’s say you bundle energy at your small business, and then you find out you could be paying for lower rates from a specific electricity provider. What would you do? Does it sound like a lot of work? Just by thinking about it, one might feel like staying with a bundle. That’s the downside of purchasing such a practical option: Once you start benefiting from that convenience, researching rates and switching utility providers will probably seem like too much work.
Bundles in Alberta — using the same company for electricity and gas
Major energy providers in Alberta allow you to bundle electricity and natural gas, including ATCOenergy, Spot Power, ENMAX, Encor by EPCOR and Direct Energy. Whether a commercial or residential customer, you will find out some of them can offer gift cards or discounts once you decide to bundle utilities. From lower rates to promo codes, it’s worth comparing providers to find out which one will make more sense to both your financial and energy needs.
Compare energy rates — search the best utility rates
If you’re looking for the lowest rates for electricity and natural gas, or just want to know who could be the best energy provider for you, go to EnergyRates.ca and compare energy prices. The website is an unbiased cost comparison tool and allows you to compare natural gas and electricity companies to find out which one will offer you the cheapest rates.
All you need to do is to fill in your postal code to check what are the best gas and electricity rates in your area. Whether you live in Ontario, Manitoba, British Columbia or Saskatchewan, or simply want an Alberta energy providers comparison, you will be able to check the lowest available gas and electricity rates in your area.
If you run a business and want to find a good energy deal, just know that small business, small and large commercial and industrial users can get a custom quote based on their energy needs, whether for natural gas, electricity or both.